Hamilton artists who have released recordings between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019 are eligible to be nominated for their work for GHMIA 2020. Artist eligibility criteria applies to all categories. Hamilton artists, for the purposes of this competition, are defined as follows:
- A Canadian citizen or landed immigrant;
- A person who has resided in Hamilton for three years – Ancaster, Dundas, Flamborough, Glanbrook, Stoney Creek, Waterdown (including the eligibility period).
- In the case of group submissions, at least 50% of group members must fulfill one of the above definitions of “Hamilton artist”
The nominated artist must provide proof EITHER that a minimum of 50 units have been manufactured, OR, if the album is only for sale in digital format, the submitter must provide a valid internet purchase link for the album, for example, a website and/or national/international digital distribution entities such as, but not limited to, iTunes, Bandcamp, Indie Pool, CD Baby. In either case, recordings must be commercially available in Canada, such as via concert sales, retail outlets, or the Internet.
The nominated artist must also provide proof of the date of release. This can be done by supplying the GHMIA with either uploaded copies of manufacturing invoices or letter from the artist’s/group’s record company or main distributor.
The GHMIA reserves the right to disqualify any recording that does not meet industry standards.
It is vital to ensure your nomination meets all eligibility criteria including for the definition for all selected categories. Nominations not accepted or disqualified will not be notified.
The GHMIA defines recording eligibility standards as follows:
- Submitted recordings must be at least 30 minutes in length or feature a minimum of four (4) tracks.
- Recordings must fulfill all legal obligations (copyright information, payment of mechanical rights, etc.)
- Recordings must be commercially available in Canada, either through artist concert sales, retail outlets or via the internet.
- Music submissions must be self-released or an independent label release; Major label music released by Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, Warner Music Group or any of their sub labels is NOT Eligible.
All submissions become the property of the GHMIA for the purpose of promoting the Greater Hamilton Music Industry Awards, and promoting the artists submitting this material.
- Nominations may be self-nominated, made by an individual or an organization.
- Nominee’s must be over 18 and Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents, proof of age and status may be requested. ** Rising Star category nominee’s must be 18 and under.
- An individual may be nominated in more than 1 (one) category, each nomination must include its own specific supporting material.
- GHMIA Board Members and Staff, contractors (and their close relatives) providing services to GHMIA or any entity sponsoring the GHMIA’s are not eligible to nominate themselves or anyone else, and are disqualified from voting. Judges are entirely ineligible for making nominations or voting, either in a personal or professional capacity.
Nomination Submissions Open
February 1, 2020
Nomination Submissions Closed
April 1, 2020
1st Round Voting (Fans)
April 15 to May 15, 2020
May 22, 2020
Final Voting (Judges)
June 1 to July 15, 2020
June 5 & 6, 2020
Nominee Announcement for Round 2
July 22, 2020
Winners of final voting announced at awards ceremony September 26, 2020
September 7 to 12, 2020
Industry Awards Ceremony
September 25, 2020
September 26, 2020